Cleveland Park is located in northwest Washington, D.C. between Connecticut and Wisconsin Avenues, and is bounded by Tilden Street to the north and Woodley Avenue to the south. Early in the history of the city, it was rolling farmland and the country estate of an intimate of George Washington. In 1886, President Grover Cleveland situated his summer White House — Oak View, opposite Rosedale — at the historic center of the area. In 1894 the first private residence was built here, on Newark Street, NW, ultimately establishing the area as an important “streetcar suburb” of the federal city.
Cleveland Park subsequently has come to be known as a popular, thriving, and significant neighborhood. As documented in Cleveland Park: A Guide to Architectural Styles and Building Types, a publication of the Cleveland Park Historical Society, “In 1986, as the result of an intensive community effort, Cleveland Park was designated a D.C. historic district and in the following year was listed in the National Register of Historic Places.”
The Porter, an historically-recognized apartment building at the northwest corner of Connecticut Avenue and Porter Street, is adjacent to many of Cleveland Park’s outstanding amenities. Nearby are dozens of restaurants and shops, branches of the U.S. Post Office and the D.C. Public Library, and the Uptown cinema. The National Zoo is within easy walking distance and the Metro station is only steps away.